Friday, May 1, 2009

On the lighter side!

David, Makc, Alona and Natasha



David, Alona, Jenny and Makc


Natasha swinging


Alona with friends


Children with ballons

Today is our 4th day in Khelm and we are beginin gto get settled in. We actually got to sleep a little earlier last night becasue we talked to our children around 11:30pm (4:30pm at home). We got about 7 or so hours of sleep and woke up feeling rested.

It was our 4th straight day visiting Makc, Alona, and Natahsa and what a blessing it is getting to spend time with them. It's nice having family here in a place so far from home. Since today is an Ukrainian national holiday, Makc and Alona didn't have school. (They won't have scholl Monday either!) We got there around 10:00am and before we could hardly get through the door to their group area (I'll try to share more about the living situation at another time) they were running into our arms screaming mother!!! father!!! They immediately asked for permission to go outside and the care givers said OK. We spent the next couple of hours running and playing with them. We also got the share with them the news about the court daye and that if all goes well, we (me, Makc, Alona, and Natasha) would be home by May 22. We even showed them on the calendar. I know Makc got it and I think after he explained it in Ukraine to the girls, they got, We told them that Jenny would be leaving next Friday the 8th and Makc said "me go the 8th!". We also told them that we had to declare their names for their new birth certificates they get before we leave. We told Makc his name will be Maksim Scott Borden )Scott is my middle name). We're not sure exactly what he will go by or how it will be spelled, but for now we are pronoucing it Mox and spelling it Makc (that's how he wrote it for us last summer). We told Alona her name will be Alona Hope Borden. She sort of snarled her nose at it and said "me Alona". Good thing since we were planning on calling her that!!!! We told Natasha that her name will be Natalia Joy Borden and seemed ok with it. She goes by Natasha, but her given name is Natalia and in trying to get the paper work done, the fewer changes, the better. Jenny told Alona that maybe we could call her Nattie. I think it went in one ear and out the other. Oh well. As we here a lot in the Ukraine...we'll see! After all that, we played more, they had a snack that Makc was kind enough to get extra for us. It was sort of a short bread cookie thing. I liked it. Jenny didn't. After snack, we got out some ballons we had brought to paly with and share with the other children. There were around a dozen kids in the play area that got to enjoy them. Around noon, they were called in for lunch so we thought we would say goodbye and see them tomorrow. Makc looked sad and asked if we could say longer and play after lunch. We said sure and boy am I glad. That's when the whole TRUST stuff happened! We had a great afternoon playing, singing, and laughing. At around 2:00pm, we said we needed to get back, and all three children started walking with us to the car. We hugged and kissed them good-bye reminding them that we loved them, we would be back tomorrow, and that Jesus loves them too!
We got to our apartment around 2:30 and Jenny got on the computer to do some stuff and I walked to FoxMart grocery store to pick up a few things (Coke Light, plastic bowls for soup and oatmeal, laundry soap, bath soap, Dannon yogart (we'll see), some paper towels and even a small bag of M&M's as a surprise for my bride Jenny). I took a different route home to site see and came across a neat looking cafe. I stepped inside and asked if they had an English menu, and to my surprise, they did! There were lot's of tasting sounding things. Our diet has basically consisted of oatmeal, pita bread with PB&J, snack crackers, and an assortment of snack bars. I got home, showed Jenny my grocery finds and presented her with her surprise - the M&M's to find out she doesn't really like them. Boy did I feel dumb. After 14 yrs. of marriage, you would think I might know what candy she likes. No worries...I'm enjoying them now! We walked to the new restaurant I found called something Lemon and had a good meal for under $18.00 US . Not bad considering we each had tea (Jenny iced, me hot), a ceaser salad with grilled chicken, a bowl of soup, and two pasta dishes. After dinner, we walked home and settled in. I've been typing on this silly computer so long my eyes hurt and Jenny has been reading. I think she said she finished another book. It time to watch a little TV (were watching DVDs we brought) and then talk to the kids when they get home from school.
Blessings and good night!

David

1 comment:

Chris Graham said...

I give up on mascara until you all are in the states. And then maybe longer...."we'll see". Loved every word. Spoke to the core of my heart.