Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day!

It’s not Memerial Day here in Khelm, but I did my best to enjoy the holiday from miles away!

Quick post tonight since it’s 12:30am and I need to get some sleep. Please continue to pray for Gods’ will to be done with reagrds to the passports. I spoke to Koysta late tonight and it appears that the passports won’t arrive before noon. We will call again tomorrow shortly after noon and check on the status.

The kids slept until around 7:30 which was nice. I wasn’t sure what to expect. At around 8:00 I asked if they were hungry and wanted to eat something. Now yesterday (actually, Sunday since it’s Tuesday) we did pretty ggod about getting groceries excpet I forgot about breakfast. The choices most suitable for breakfast that I had was oatmeal and fruit. I asked if they like oatmeal and everyone said yes. The only one to eat it was me! Jenny, don’t stock up on oatmeal.

After breakfast, we watched some TV and called Julia (a young lady who helps teach some of the children at the orphange English) to see if she wanted to meet us at the park and have lunch with us. As it turned out, it was her day off (she is an English teacher at the local university) and she would love to join us. So we met here at around 11:00, played at the park and had lunch at a really nice café. It was nice going somewhere different and having someone translate the menu.

After lunch, Julia suggested that we might go to a very large park just a few bus stops away. “A bus ride” I thought. Well how bad could it be, I’m with a local person who does this all the time – right? Actually it was fine, thanks to Julia knowing which of the 100 buses that stop to drop off and pick up passengers every minute to get on and where to get off.

The park was very large and lots to offer. There were lots of different playgounds and paved walking paths. There was even an area where they had lots of swans and in a in a big round cage like at a zoo were two bears. There was even area ike Coney Island in Cincinnati with carnival rides. The kids got to choose one thing they wanted to do and Natasha choose the swings and Maks and Alona choose to jump on a big inflatable.

At around 4:30pm, we headed back to the apartment and watched some TV and had a snack. At around 6pm, I fixed some dinner for them with Maks help cleaning the fish. They had fish, cucumbers, bread, cheese, canadian bacon (something like it) apples, and chips. I had a piece of bread, and a few slices of apple. (A little later I had a Slim Fast bar.)

After dinner the kids got baths and I painted the girls fingernails and watch TV. At arounf 9:45pm, we sang songs and I prayed, then said good-night.

It was a long but fun day. The kids are doing really well. I’m enjoying being with them.

Blessings <><,

David

14 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks so much for the beautiful update. Love it! You made breakfast for them, and they didn't touch the oatmeal. How funny! I hope you enjoyed it anyway~~

Sounds like they clean up after themselves quite nicely. I am sure that is nice. And painting their nails~~how sweet!

We will still be praying for the passports. Thanks so much for all the updates.

It has been quite a rainy day here. Kind of squashed a few of the early day picnics. So glad you had a nice day there. Seems like the days there will soon be coming to an end. Enjoy them as much as you can!

May God continue to bless you in the journey! Michelle

Kimbell and Mark said...

Oh what a fun day. I love how they are getting such sweet attention from you David. What a fantastic dad you are. I'm so glad that Julia was able to go with you. And a bus ride - what an adventure!

Today we had cook out at the Lightners. As we watched our kids play with waterballoons, toss baseballs... and do all that other stuff kids do, I couldn't help but think of you and your kids. It won't be long and you'll be home too - doing all those fun things.

Can't wait to hear that you have the passports in your hands.

David and Jenny Borden said...

Guys, David is doing an amazing job of keeping-on keeping-on and making amazing memories for these kids. He's getting weary though and needs us to lift up some serious prayer for him. Please pray believing that all things are possible only through our Savior Jesus, that these passports are ready tomorrow, that David feels God's presence more than ever tomorrow and that a hedge of protection would cover him.
Psalm 139:12 "even the darkness will not be dark to You; the night will shine like the day,for darkness is as light to You." (Remember D, God has "got yo' back" :)!!)LOVE YOU!

Jennifer said...

I love it that you painted their nails!!! You are such a softy.

Your on the home stretch!!!
Rounding third and heading for home!!!

Jennifer

Chris Graham said...

Hey David....I'm getting ready to get to bed early tonight with a good book. You sure were up late! I'm praying for you guys right now as Ukraine is just about to start waking up. rest on Jenny's facebook inbox.

Jewelry Lady said...

Hey David! Praying praying praying for you and those pesky passports!!!! Keep yourself bathed in the word...it WILL sustain you!!!!

You are loved and missed!!!

Natalie said...

Just read your update and I'm praying now before I head to bed (and as your Tues. is beginning in Ukraine) that the passports will be ready today so that the process can move along...and quickly, I might add! :) Also praying that the Lord will uphold you and for His peace to flood your heart and mind. I'll leave you with a familiar passage, but I liked this translation (though I can't remember which one it is now). Phil 4:6-7 ~ "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Blessings on your day...I'll be looking forward to a good report!

Dunham Family said...

Sounds like a great first night together!!! Hoping you are on the way to Kiev! Praying for you.

Chris Graham said...

How's it going, Brother???!!! Just wondering about everything. sitting here, not being very patient, myself. Getting ready to wake Emily and see how this morning pans out. Looking forward to hearing from you. Sorry, sorry....i know i'm being child-like saying "are we there yet?" and "how much longer, 'til we're there?" a true pest, for sure and certain. yikes!!! full of energy because i did a rare thing...i slept through the night and can't contain myself now!!!!! love to all

Kimbell and Mark said...

Just want you to know that checking on you ranks above getting the kids off to school. Do you think that would be an excused tardy? Can't wait to hear that you have passports. We love you.

Kerri said...

Good morning/afternoon! Just getting back to the "norm" here after the weekend. Sounds like yesterday was a quite an adventure what with a bus ride and a park with carnival rides! Just curious, when a Dad paints fingernails is there much thought that goes into the color? Is it like Pink Blush or Ruby Red (I don't think they're ready for the latter)? You may have a side business opportunity here! So we enjoyed our rainy day with burgers and dogs and Callie Grace said a sweet prayer over our meal that included you and the kids. Very precious. Praying for passports and for your continued strength. We love you!

Jewelry Lady said...

One more today....in Experiencing God on page 268 it's all the descriptions, names and titles of God. I'm sure you have already done this part but I thought of you becuase I had my praise on this am by reading aloud all of those things to our God. I praise you for being..... I was in a state of panic this am over a situation and it calmed my fears and troubled mind. Not that all the answers are there, but my if He can be all of those things to me surly he can work out my situation and surly he can bring passports to your hands! He is the El Shaddai ~Almighty God.

Phil & Tonya said...

Did you want Jenny to stock up on canned sardines? Mmmmmm. Almost to Friday! Can't wait to see you guys!

The Holloways said...

David, I know how frustrating the "not knowing" is (and so do the others that have been there). It is the worst part about being in Ukraine. When I was there I let it consume and frustrate me to the point that I fell into a hole is was hard to climb out of. It is so easy to go negative, and easy to fall prey to the enemey. I'm praying for supernatural protection for your mind and your heart. As Kim said, we pray for joy, joy, joy and the presence of God to be felt by you. Your attitude and strength are inspiring! Psalm 94:18 "When I said, "My foot is slipping, your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul." It won't be long, now...."For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they wil left you up in their hands..."Psalm 91:11. I'm praying these verses over all of you.