Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 15 in Khelm

Before I get started sharing the activities and blessings from day 15 in Khelm (day 21 since I left home) I want to say thank you for all the prayers, comments, emails, facebook messages, etc. that have been sent. It is an encouragement and a blessing to receive them. And in case you were wondering, prayers really do travel all these miles that separate us. I feel them all!

OK! Today was a joy. Since posting this morning, I have felt the Holy Spirit release me of the burden I have been carrying for these children the past few days. In my quite time today, God reminded me that he loves each one of them, that he knows them by name and has a plan for their lives. My purpose here is to bring Maks, Alona, and Natasha home and to spend time showing the others all the love I can. He will write the rest of the story.

Today was another absolutely beautiful day. Not a cloud in the sky and temps around 75. I arrived at the orphanage around 2pm and Alona was doing her homework (on a Friday afternoon - are you kidding me?) Bogdan saw me and I think went to get Maks and Natasha. Natasha told me that she had been sleeping but Bogdan woke her up. I asked her if she wanted to go back to sleep and in her normal response to most conversation I have with her she said "OK...gum please, father". It really is funny/sweet how she wants to please me so much that she says "OK" to just about everything. I doubt she does that with her caregivers. Alona finished her homework and we went outside to play. Alona had on this really cute outfit that looked brand new. She has different clothes on every time I see here and sometimes like today will change 2-3 times. I wonder if she picked that up from Isabelle last summer. (Maks and Natasha have been wearing the same clothes since Tuesday). I took a few pictures of Alona, and all the sudden Natasha takes off running inside. A few minutes later, Natasha comes strutting down the sidewalk all "made-up" with a head band on. The look in her eyes said "hey aren't you going to take a picture of me". Of course I did. Then, not do be outdone, Alona runs of and in a few minutes comes back in a different outfit. We took more pictures and before I knew it, Natasha was taking her top off! I'm trying to say "NO!" but before I could, she had it off and underneath she had on a bikini bathing suit top. This girl is something else. We laughed and had a good time playing fashion show and runway for the longest of time.

While all that was going on, Maks was playing soccer with Igor, a friend from school that had stopped by to play. I've seen Igor around the last few days but didn't really know what the story was. They played really well together which was good to see. They took turns seeing how many times they could "hit" the ball in air without touching it with their hands. A few minutes into the game, Maks fell and hurt his wrist. He was trying so hard not to let me see it was hurting, but I could tell. After a few minutes, I asked him if he was ok and if I could look at it. He came over and I could see that it had a little swelling. I asked if he wanted to go see the Dr. and he said know. He went back to playing and after a while he told me it was "OK, papa!"

At around 4pm, the rest of the group came out with paint in hand! I kept my seat and welcomed each and every one of them with open arms. They made motions for balloons and I apologized that they were all gone. By God's grace they understood. We got up, went to other playground. Alona went and changed again helped paint. Natasha, Anna, Vika and little Kostya and I played on a rocking horse type thing and Maks kept kicking the soccer ball around with some of the boys.

Soon it was 5pm and my ride came. I told the kids good-bye and reminded them that I was coming at 10:15 and for them to be ready to come to spend the day with me like we did Monday. They were excited to say the least. It was a delightful afternoon with the children.

I came home, cleaned up and went to an early dinner at Lemon where I had fried cheese for a starter followed by chicken al pane with rice and grilled veggies.

After dinner, I did my daily bible study (Experiencing God), checked email, did some work, and started this post. After I finish this, I'll probably start a DVD and maybe have some M&M's that I bought as a special treat at the grocery store this morning.

Blessings <><,

David






<
a href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi1NvJ9XW0MrS9629EC9Rh_TMlIuCuYOyTPBf38MxmkdCDvOvagtw6-gerdlj3Voopds2lUsiPWqA5OAiFVj-LH9sOmiWp-Ewxxlp9pCAqevVSvL6J1XvmEYHhJZ65jPvEiqD5mXhQ2FRg/s1600-h/Day+15+in+Khelm+006.jpg">



8 comments:

Chris Graham said...

Did you ever think that the term "Papa" would melt your heart so? And Jenny....those girls sure are Jenny Borden's daughters!!!! I love the fashion show story. How wonderful for Maks to have someone there to care about his injury...to look at it and be there for him. How many of the children's boo-boos have gone un-kissed. How many times have they learned to handle these things on their own and deny that they hurt? I'm so happy that someone took the picture of David looking at Maks' wrist. A time where Maks is learning that he has a father that will always be there and always care. A safe place to say "I hurt". Glad he was able to bounce back and play. So thankful for all of the children's pictures the other day as I can now picture their faces when you tell stories about the other children. David, I'm glad your burden has found it's resting place in God's care and plans. I talked to Julie about the blog often and shared your burden. She said when she got back from Honduras, she struggled long and hard about the children in the streets--without needs and love. Well...one week since Jenny has come home. You guys are getting there. Soon and very soon. Doesn't seem like it, I know.

michelle said...

God Bless you David and the kids,
all of them. I can tell you are getting a bit weary and you are so ready to come home. Keep up the good work and loving on the children. It does get to you I'm sure seeing these other children
and wanting to help and take the pain away. I'm sure the longer you are there the more burden you feel on your heart. You must know that every wink and hug and balloon gives other kids waiting joy and hope. You will be home soon and reunited. We can all work together to raise awareness of waiting children. Tamara and I have already
started "Smiles of Hope Orphan Ministry". Together we can make a
huge difference!

Tamara and Philip are praying for you all. Their paperwork is in Kazakhstan so they hope to be traveiling in June/July. Celebrate another orphan finding a home!!

Looking forward to seeing you all together!

Kimbell and Mark said...

Oh I laughed out loud reading about the girls sense of fashion. The pictures are fantastic. Yep, as Chris said they are definitely Jenny's girls! You are one day closer brother. Enjoy the weekend - next week is going to be busy busy busy!!! See you soon!

David and Jenny Borden said...

Are those cute kids or what?! I love the girl's style--I'll just have to teach them about accessories and they'll be good to go :)!
I'm so thankful that the Lord has given you some release. It's easy to think, "what if those kids never have a family to love them" or "what if they never hear the salvation Jesus has brought them". The truth is "Jesus does love them and He chose us to go and love them, making them known to our little world. Jesus will call others to join Him in rescuing these children. You can rest in knowing you are exactly where the Father wants you and when He wants you there. You are not alone!

DeeDee said...

What wonderful pictures today -- okay I feel like I could say this everyday and like I said before it makes them to dearer to us here every day. God is good to allow you to enjoy such a wonderful day and give you peace as to what His plan for you and your children is.... Know that you are following His will for you even as you smile and love on the other children. Like you said God made them and has a plan for each of them, and David it's amazing to think that YOU are part of that plan. Thank you again for sharing. Keep those updates coming -- we live vicariously through your blogs as you write..... You're doing incredible things through Christ and we're so happy that we get to share in it !!

vandermeer said...

These kiddos get cuter by the day!! Love all the fashion statements the girls are making :) I am sure you are so ready to get all of you back together as one big family which prayerfully will be real soon. So neat to hear how God has ministered to you in regards to the burden of the children. That is so cool how God works in our lives! Can't wait to hear the next story/devotional you have to share. Keep up the great job of telling your story!

Jewelry Lady said...

Did you ever think you would be able to keep so many women captivated by your comings and goings! You now have your own following of women on this blog! You have become quite the ladies man...you found the way to our hearts...CHILDREN IN NEED! Keep feeding us becuase you are allowing God to change us here in the Babalyon we live in. To see these children with so little love and we are surrounded by it even on the worst day. Reality check! We need to be giving it away at every chance we have. Keep on keep'n on brother!

tam

Phil & Tonya said...

What a treat! I just got to share the pictures with my parents in Flatwoods. We set them up for skype so you can talk to them if you want! :) They think the kids are adorable. Of course Mom just keeps sighing, "Oh, Jenny!" Thanks for all the pictures! I hope you guys keep this up at home -- maybe the kids can take turns photographing each other for their own little "project runway" show or something. Can't wait to see you on our turf! :)