Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Fun Day!

I'm really not kidding when I say that God is blessing us with beautiful weather here. Today was sunny and about 75. Another answered prayer.

Today I went and picked the kids up from the orphanage about 10am to spend the day with me in and around my flat. We did it last Monday and had such a great time; I couldn't wait to do it again.

Yesterday when I left the kids, I told Maks that I would be there at 10:15 and for him to be ready and for him to have his sisters ready too. I when I arrived, no one was ready. I guess something broke down in the translation! No worries though because in no time flat they were ready. The teacher made Maks change shirts 3 times before she approved of what he was wearing. (I didn't have a problem with the first one). Maks even put on a pair of black dress shoes today. I can tell this is a really special event for them all and he wanted to look his best. He did. Alona and Natasha also looked great wearing very fashionable jeans with embroidery and tops that looked great. The teacher was so sweet to help them with their hair and picking out a light jacket. (It can be 100 degrees here and I think people will have a coat with them).

When we got to my flat, I offered them their choice of Capri Sun (Berry or Orange) I had found in the grocery store. They each had one and some candy and gum I had sitting out in a little bowl on the small table in the sitting area. They loved being able to "stuff" their pockets full and we headed out.

I had seen a poster for Night at the Museum 2 at the movie theatre so we headed there to see what time it was showing. On the way, we stopped to look at sunglasses. Alona had really wanted a pair Monday, but we didn't get any. I had to draw the line somewhere Monday - I had spoiled them enough!!! Today, we were buying and they were so excited. I let them pick out whatever they wanted. Maks found a pair of black ones that had dragon fire down the temples; Natasha went for the J-Lo look and Alona, floral.

With sunglasses on, off we walked to the Cinema. When we got there, we found out it wouldn't be showing until the 20th. No worries though. Plenty of other stuff to do and headed to Winnie the Pooh for lunch where they each picked out a dessert type treat and French fries with sausage (like a hot dog). Maks and Natasha had Fanta Orange and Alona a Coke-Cola.

After lunch off to jump in the Tigger inflatable they enjoyed some much. They had a blast jumping for over 30 minutes. They could have jumped longer if Alona didn’t have to go "toilet". The closest place to use the restroom was my flat, so off we ran!

With empty bladders, off we headed to find sunflower seeds in the marketplace and then to the park to eat them and play. On Monday, we bought some from an elderly lady on the corner but she wasn't there today. Knowing that the kids wanted some, I suggested we walk through the market to see if anyone else was selling any. Jenny - if you struggled last summer taking them to Wal-Mart, you would have fainted taking them through this place. To give you a brief description, because the pictures won't do it justice, here goes.

Outdoor marketplace - total length is about 500 yards taking up the width of a city street. There are three rows of booths, each about 8ft x 8ft with an aisle about 5ft wide. People everywhere!!! Each booth is STUFFED to the max and you can find anything imaginable. I saw shoes, fine china, kitchen utensils and cookware, toys, clothing of ever type (the girls really got a kick at the bras), cell phones, pet food, and all kinds of fresh fruits. If you wanted it, you could buy it - except sunflower seeds - at least on this day.

From the market, we headed to the park to play and on the way saw a street vendor making cotton candy. Maks asked if we could get some and I said "why not". I'm not sure if they had ever had any or not. Maks got apricot flavor and the girls got strawberry. They loved eating it and to my surprise did so without making a mess.

With cotton candy in hand we went to the park and on the way ran right into a Bride and Groom getting their picture taken before getting into their limo. The girls loved getting to see them. The bride was so sweet and blew them a kiss as went walked off!

The park was great. It is set on about 10 acres and has all kinds of swings, merry-go-rounds, things to climb and play on. The kids had a blast for about an hour. They are all daredevils. They love to do things to the extreme. For instance, when they swing, the stand up and swing: and swing really high. In fact, if there hadn't been a "stop" where the swing is mounting to the cross bar on top, Maks would have easily gone all the way around.

Around 3pm we headed back to flat, before we got there, we stopped for some chips and something to drink. Maks choose caviar flavor chips and Fanta, Alona had sour cream and mushroom flavor chips with apple juice, and Natasha got sour cream flavored potato chips and grape juice. They have some different flavors here. And to think that Maks told the orphanage director that he didn't like much American food. I can't every remember offering him caviar flavored chips! Jenny called and got to say hi while we were waiting for our ride back to the orphanage around 3:30. Their English is getting better every day. I know they will do great learning and speaking English once we get them home! I'm so proud of how they are all trying so hard to find the English words for what they want to say.

I'm also proud of well behaved they are. They are getting along great with each other sharing their food, drinks, toys, etc. They are also listening very well. In the marketplace for instance, I told them that I need them to stay close to me and they did. I can tell that they are trying really hard.

Well I got them home around 4pm, returned to the flat, wash up, checked email, Skyped with Jenny and the kids, and started posting this. After I sign off, I'm going to dinner, then back here to see what I find on DVD that interests me, and to bed.

I can't wait to see how God is going to bless me tomorrow - the Lord's Day! I'm praying that tomorrow will be the last Lord's Day here in Ukraine. We'll see!!!

Blessings <><,

David

Natasha, Maks, and Alona sporting new shades
Maks at Winnie the Pooh
Alona at Winnie the Pooh
Natasha at Winnie the Pooh
Marketplace
Margetplace
Marketplace
Cotton Candy!
Bride and Groom
Alona swinging
Natasha sliding
Maks climbing

8 comments:

Laurel said...

What a day to remember! Thanks for sharing it. Hang in there...you're on the home stretch now.

vandermeer said...

Sounds like a very fun day!! So glad the weather has been great for you to be doing all this with the kids. I bet they are just so happy they can't stand it!! Their faces sure show it :) Wouldn't you love to get inside their little minds right now and know their exact thoughts about this whole amazing experience!?!? Well, you are being an awesome dad to them right now. You and Jenny are truly an inspiration to all of us!! May the Lord continue to bless you daily!!!

David and Jenny Borden said...

"no worries"-are you in Khelminitsky or Jamaican mon? :)
Glad the day went so great. Loved reading about it and then seeing the pictures. I love the one in their sunglasses. I slightly miss the Winnie the Pooh place (in a very fond, very little tiny kind of slight way). I do have fond memories though. Hope this is your LAST Sunday there! At least next week you'll be super-busy (or is there such a thing as super and busy together in the Ukraine?)Okay, you'll at least be super busy sitting in a car somewhere ;)!

Chris Graham said...

Yes! Love the sunglasses! And loving hearing about the flavors of cotton candy and chips. Wow! The entire entry today could be a script for a movie. Brings the reader much joy. And even though the children are being so well behaved and working hard to please you...it will be kind of nice, too, when they are comfortable enough and feel home enough to give you some fits. Children, children..what a blessing...whether in the good or the difficult times, huh my friend?

Michelle said...

Love the sunglasses! They are soooooo cute! Sounds like your spoiling them with some fun stuff. The flavors there seem REALLY different! I am sure they are enjoying the special time you are having with them by themselves! What a blessing! Keep it up! This is such a great time to get to know them each better~~

God Bless you all! and you too Jenny here holding down the fort!

Michelle

Jewelry Lady said...

I love Maks freckles! I love Alona's "jenny" style! I love Natasha's smile! I love that you can't wait for the Lord's blessings tomorrow! Made me cry David. We should all close our eyes awaiting the same thing! I can't hardly stand your trip anymore! How selfish is that? ;) I can't wait to hear of your day tomorrow!
tam

Kerri said...

Seriously it's like I can close my eyes and hear them giggle! You bring us right along with you. I can't get enough! I know that tomorrow will be another day full of blessings simply because you wait expectantly for it. I am so glad that you are having so much fun with the kids. You sound better and I know that you are happy. We continue to pray and can't wait until you are home! Have a wonderful Sunday morning!

michelle said...

What a fun day! Sure enjoyed reading about the area and the
amazing shopping opportunities.
Yep on the home stretch and you
will all be ready to sleep in your
own home with the entire family.
So worth the venture to a foreign land to rescue three really cool kids. See you all soon!