Monday, May 25, 2009

Monday morning

It's 7:30am here in Khelm and the Lord woke me up at 6am. A little different from the past many days, but He blessed me with a good night's rest. I just went upstairs to check on the kids, and they are still sleeping.

Getting up early today has allowed me to skype with Jenny and say hi to Keely (it was only 11pm their time). The connection was pretty good which makes it a lot easier to talk and visit. I got to hear all about their afternoon and evening. They were really busy and had just finished watching Mall Cop and Max and Iz had just gone to bed.

Last evening and night went really well. After we got home from the park, I fixed dinner for them that consisted of Ramon (sp) type noodle soup, sliced cumcumber, bread, and fresh sardines (or some kind of small fish.) When we were in the soup asile, I pointed to some of the soups and Maks and Alona pointed to those. I figured easy enough. Boil some water in the microwave and whala - soup. Maks choose a seafood flavor (the package had a picture of shrimp) and I'm not sure what the girls had. Maks was the one eating the fish mostly. Alona said she would eat more today. Watching them tear the heads off and "cleaning" them out with their fingers and flicking the "junk" in the trash and then eating them is interesting to say the least. Alona did rinse her's off in the sink!

After dinner it was bath time which all three were really excited about. While Maks got his, the girls did a great job cleaning up the kitchen. Before I knew it, all the dishes were washed and put away (I'm guessing rinsed out), the table whiped off, and the floor swept. They were so proud to show me what a great job they had done. Natasha was next in the shower. I think this was a new experience for her and Alona was being the sweet big sister helping. Then Alona's turn. When the girls were out and dried off, they took turns sharing the blow dryer while Maks watched TV. They have satelite in their room and Maks has found the JETEX channel. While they were busy, I started a load of laundry and spent some time on the computer. At around 9:30the laundry was done and it was time to say good night. We sang the songs (Itsy bitsy spider and Jesus Love Me)that we sang last summer and said our prayers and light outs. At around 10:15, I went back up to check on them and they were all asleep.

I think I hear them now! I better go check on them. I hope everyone enjoys their holiday. Eat a hotdop for me. Then again, don't. I had enough hotdogs last summer. maybe a hamburger.

Please continue to pray for passports.

Blessings <><,
David

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Continuing to pray for those passports and for a blessed day for you and the kids! I was surprised to hear the news of your last post, but I know the change in plans did not come as a surprise to our Lord...He's got everything in His hands! I enjoyed the picture of the groupa! I recognized many of the children and Larissa from the group that came to Cal. last summer. It was nice to see their smiling faces again :) You're doing a great job with Maks, Alona, Natasha and throughout this whole process! Keep up the good work. Praying for God's strength and peace to cover you as you make it down the home stretch!

Chris Graham said...

Ha! I remember eating canned sardines when I was a child and I had no qualms about the head and bones back then. Even though I remember them tasting good, I would not be able to eat them with such gusto and abandon at this stage in life. Weird. It sounds as if they are adjusting to this adventure very well! What a great first night. You are very blessed! When you were talking about singing, you made me long to be there singing too....singing with children...one of my top favorite things. They don't care if you hit the hi notes or not. Since picking up the guitar, I am finding that the high D and E are not necessarily my friends anymore. Sometimes an day of early rising gives you a good lift...I hope that is the case with you today. Certainly it was a nice way to start off talking with Jenny and Keely. Well....tell those three kiddos that their American friends say hello and that we are proud at how sweet they are! Talk again later today.
Chris

vandermeer said...

Sounds like things are going just great with you and the kids. It sounds like you hit it right on the food also! You are doing an awesome job with the kids there and dealing with all that you have to while there too. We are praying for for continually and that the passports are able to be gotten tomorrow. Take care.

Jennifer said...

Ok I am imagining it now...
Big group of friends waiting at the Airport..balloons, signs..laughter..then Russian music begins to play...everyone gets quiet

Jenny gets a call from you..we are coming down the runway...everyone turns and looks...YOUR HOME..the kids start running towards Jenny, Keely, Max and Izzy, grown men start to cry ....the music gets louder applaud errupts all thru the airport.

The kids suddenly become bashful...NOT then we usher you to your cars. YOu collapse and sleep for a week. Wake up pack to go to Disney World, come home buy a pass to Kings Island, decide to tour Ky go to Mamouth Caves....the rest is history....Oh I forgot ....come back to church at Journy because Natasha pushed a button on the lotto machines at Meijer and you win the jack pot so tuition money is now not an object!!!
Hurry home safely

Jennifer

Kerri said...

Yummy! We are just getting ready to fire up the grill (rain teaming down!) We'll be sure to fix an honorary burger for you David and believe me meal time prayers will hear your names mentioned! We love and miss you and pray that today was another great day with the kids and that you all rest well tonight waking to news of passports!!!!

Phil & Tonya said...

We miss you today! We would have loved to have shared this hoiday with you at the pool (& to celebrate Phil's B-day with you, too). We have alternate plans but they still won't be as happy as if you and the kids were here. You sound like you're adjusting very well. This temporary housing situation will be over before you know it. The kids sound like they're having a ball -- I know you'll try to keep that clean-up thing going with all of them! :) You cracked me up with the "whala" word in the post. Precious. We'll eat something for you -- I think the mexicorn/cheese dip and fritos for sure. We were going to grill corn on the cob -- who knows what now. MISS YOU -- J majorly misses you!

michelle said...

That must have been a surprise bringing the kids to the apartment.
Nice to have some room to spread!
Strange transition for the kids leaving their family as they know it, I always wonder how that plays on the them. Anyway...glad it went well and they got to say their goodbye's. Hopefully your last few days in Khmelnitskyi are filled with wonderful memories for the kids. We'll be praying for passports bright and early so you can be one step closer to Kyiv.
I recognize lots of kids from the
latest picture. So cute!!