Monday, May 18, 2009

From Jenny



Hey, I haven't posted since I've been home, and rightly so. I can see what you blog addicts are talking about! I'm checking the blog all the time and love reading about David's day. I've been so moved by many of the posts!
*Speaking of posts, we have amazing news, so be sure and read the post below this one that David wrote today.
I felt led to share with you something the Lord brought to my mind yesterday when I was driving to Max's baseball game. I thought about Isabelle Saturday evening coming downstairs and asking me to take fashion pictures of her outside. It reminded me of Alona and Natasha's fashion show they did for David. By the way, Isabelle had not read that post about Alona and Natasha. Heading to Max's game I was sure I had the camera because Max loves to look over at me to see that I'm watching him and giving him a thumbs up for the good job he's doing. I was reminded of Maks wanting D and I to watch him kick the soccer ball and count how many times he could keep the ball alive.
I've spent time reading and preparing for the kid's arrival and all the issues that might arise because of the choices their parents have made. At times, I wondered how I would handle raising children that I hardly know. This weekend though I was reminded that children are children, people are people. We want to be loved.
You know I believe we all crave to be noticed and to feel loved, and rightly so. God has put that in us to turn our hearts to Him. Unfortunately, we often spend all our time looking for those things everywhere else(in other people, alcohol, money, our family, food, shopping, work, vanity) when it's only in an intimate relationship with God that we can be satisfied. Our love as parents should only be to reflect the love of the Father.
This may sound harsh, but I wonder if in our society, abandoned children aren't the lepers of our day. We don't want to get too close to them. Their issues often seem too big for us. If we don't open our eyes to them, then we don't have to deal with it.
Unfortunately, their opportunity for their parents to show them freedom has been taken away possibly because of those items listed above. We can show them! Those of us who have found freedom in Jesus can show them the Father's love through smiles, hugs, pats on the back, lots of picture taking and telling of Jesus' goodness and love. I thank you God for showing me that we are capable of demonstrating your love to them. These children can one day say, "it is for freedom that Christ has set me free."

5 comments:

David Borden said...

I look at the blog lots too! I'm glad see you post again. I also love reading about Max at baseball and Isabelle wanting to do fashion show. The pictures are great and I can't wait to get home to experience life "live". Thanks also for reminding us about the freedom we can have through Christ. I pray my days left here will reflect just that - Christ's love.
Blessings <><,
David

vandermeer said...

Very special post Jenny. It is so true what you said. You put is so well. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Chris Graham said...

So happy to see that you're posting...being stateside doesn't take you out of the process and I've missed hearing from you girl! I do know that being here makes you very busy and from seeing facebook and blog comments, I see you've had quite the social calendar going on as everyone missed you and wanted a chance to see you face to face. Well...one thing that I wanted to tell both you and David is where ever I go and during many conversations with people, I see that the way you have shared this personal journey through your inner thoughts and such...well, it is having quite an influence on many peoples hearts and lives. It's as if you throw a skipping stone into a lake and the rings continue to ripple out and grow larger to encircle so many people's minds and hearts. Praising God for what He's doing in each heart that is touched. You guys are rockin' it! Love you! Chris

Michelle said...

Okay, an addiction to 'blogs' is one you forgot Jenny! I had already read David's blog earlier, and learned of the good news; but you know, I had to get back on here and check to see if there were any updates. Praise God for the news that you shared! It is such an encouragement when sometimes you wonder about how you could love a child with 'issues you didn't create' (hehe) It's easy to love our own natural, been-with-us-all-their-lives children, but it's another thing to think of how do you lovingly open your arms to another child. Thanks for the insights of the love you are being called to share, and how there are struggles and concerns, but when we give it over to our Father, He wants to help, and your story is just showing how Christ helps in the most blessed of ways!

How cute! the outdoor fashion shows! Love it! Michelle

Natalie said...

It's good to hear from you again, Jenny! :) I've been checking in regularly to see how things are going for David and the kids. Many of his posts have really touched my heart (as have yours). Interestingly, a number of the things you have discussed in your posts seem to be issues I'm currently wrestling with...hmm. BTW, I told my husband about the book you mentioned ("Radically Obedient, Radically Blessed"), and a few days later it showed up in the mail! It's a great book and very challenging. When I'm done, I'm going to pass it to my husband (so he can be challenged, too). Hee~hee! Thanks for recommending it!
Still praying for you guys ~
Natalie