Sunday, May 10, 2009

Another...

beautiful day here in Khelm. God contiunes to shower me with His blessings. This is truely an awesome experience. Though I miss being home with family and friends, God is reminding me minute by minute why I'm here (to build a bond as their father and continue to introduce them to the Father). The honest truth is that when we return, our time together will be very different. I'll be back to working 50 hour weeks, trying to be a husband to my beautiful bride, a caring father to six children, and will probably never again be able to spend the kind of time with Maks, Alona, and Natasha as I can now. I am doing my best to take advantage of this rare opportunity. Thinking about it now, I wish I would have taken more time like this with Keely, Max and Isabelle. You know what, I will have plenty of days to do that starting soon! These past few days have been filled with peace and joy. Last Thursday, my Dad quoted the following scripture - Romans 15:13 says “May the God of Hope fill you with all joy”. Boy is He ever!

Quick update - up at 8am, showered, started a load of laundry, and walked to the grocery store to pick up some Coke Light, trash bags and a few candy treats for the children. Listened to my i-pod on the way there and back. Jenny had loaded some great worship music so I was able to worship in song and praise to some great tunes. Got back, read some Scripture and spent time in prayer. You could say I had my own Sunday morning worhip service (minus the sermon). Around 11am, went to see the kids. As usual, the kids were outside and it didn't take long for all 3 to be running up offering hugs and kisses! Everyday, the visits are differnt. Today, they didn't seem so anxious to play with the gameboy or i-phone. We walked around a lot taking turns holding each others hands. Alona especially wanted to be close to me. After about an hour, it was time for lunch so we went inside. The first few days visiting, Jenny and I would sit on a couch in a room outside the room where meals are served. For the past few days, I've been going in with the group and eating ny snack bar while they eat their lunch. The caregivers have been gracious to offer me lunch, but so far I've said "no thank you" and enjoyed my snack. After lunch, we returned outside to play. Maks and a friend Bogdan played Gameboy, Natasha spent spent of the afternoon riding Maks' bike which is way too big, and Alona and I stayed close to each other talking, laughing and hugging. At around 1:30pm she went and got a blanket, spread it under a shade tree and invited me to join her. Within a few minutes Natasha joined us and Maks even came over when it was Bogdan's turn on the gameboy. It was a great afternoon playing and tickling the kids. I can't wait to get home and spend time playing and tickling on a blanket big enough for all 8 of us. At around 3pm, my ride came and took me back to my flat. I folded laundry, checked the blog, email, and Jenny's facebook, sent a couple of texts, and proceeded to go outside with the plans of taking a walk and then finding a shady spot to read until dinner; which is exactly what I did. Dinner at the Greek restaurant was good. I changed things up a bit tonight and went with the Greek saled instead of the Cesear. It was delicious. I was so impressed I even ate two olives which I rarely do anywhere. I also had grilled chicken on a stick with flat bread and about 6 french fries. Returned to the flat around 6pm, typed this post, and waited patiently for my family to call so I could hear all about their day!

Ephesians 1:3
[Spiritual Blessings in Christ] Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

David

Alona winning a bubble gum blowing contest.
Natasha stopping long enough to pose!
Maks at lunch
Maks, Alona and Natasha

7 comments:

Chris Graham said...

wow...Natasha's smile lights up the world now. I love the look in Alona's face as she has her arms around her brother and sister. Determination of some type...fierce love, perhaps...boy I'd love to read their minds. It will be with some restraint on my part not to overwhelm them with wanting to get to know them this summer. And as always, Maks' face and smile speaks volumes to my heart. Thanks for the pictures and as always, for your updates and daily strength and inspiration from God. I'm off to see my family and grill out. I'm glad you ate the olives. I'm wondering why you don't usually do that. Because you don't like olives or you would never eat two because they are high in fat???? What's up with that? I hear in my mind, Tonya saying "but it's the good fat." Any way....caused me to chuckle. Talk again soon.

Jennifer said...

Hey David, I guess you and Jenny are going to be co-authoring a devotional guide for families abroad waiting to come home with new children.

Beautiful Blogs
Jennifer O

Kimbell and Mark said...

I love the idea if all 8 of you on a big super sized blanket. It sounds like you had a wonderful day and I'm praying for more peace and joy filled days for you in Ukraine. Your three kids look like they are flourishing while being showered with their father's/Father's love. Hope you are feeling the love too as you get a great nights sleep.

Laura said...

David... yes, it is another beautiful day... I enjoy reading all that you and Jenny write You are an amazing person !!! What an example for your family and friends. Talk about walkng the walk!! I continue to be blessed each time i read your blog. I can't wait to love these 3 precious children as i do Keely, Max , and Isabelle. I love the pictures too. Know that Gene and I are praying for you daily. We can't wait for you to get home !!! I'm so proud of you. Hang n there Big D!!!You and Jenny could win the Amazing Race. i'll sign you up!

Phil & Tonya said...

David, thanks for not disappointing me with a new blog the two times I turned on the computer today! I hope you can continue to keep as much of your life at this pace as possible. Contemplation and blanket lying are good for the soul. You missed a wild Mother's Day lunch at Moe's. I wish you'd been there to set up the chairs and get the salsa! :) Your kiddos dressed up your bride mighty-fine! Ground-breaking attire for church, I think Jenny told you! Miss you!

David and Jenny Borden said...

Oh yeah, Tonya alluded to the ground-breaking. Well, my love, I have paved the way for you at Calvary Baptist. The kids bought me an adorable outfit, and were tickled for me open so I could wear today. It happened to be shorts! So, being mom, I had to wear. The flood-gates are open and ready for you to wear your shorts on Sunday mornings!! Love you, Jenny

vandermeer said...

Love all the pictures, David. The kids look so happy! You are very good at the blogging thing yourself. We were away for Mother's Day weekend so it took a little while to catch up on all you have been doing but very exciting to see how God is continuing to watch over things every step of the way. Keep up the devotionals that you are blogging that you probably do not realize you are :) You and Jenny need to write a book!