Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hump Day!








Visiting today with the kids was great. When I arrived, everyone was inside so I went inside and found the school age kids in one of the group rooms doing their homework and such. They do it right when they get back from school. The younger children are usually taking a nap when I arrive around 2pm. Maks was proud to tell me that he had finished his homework so he could play outside. "Come on Dad" he kept saying. Alona was at a table working hard on her homework and within a few minutes, Natasha game running in saying "guuuum pleaze father". I was glad I had packed some in my bag and had planty to share. All the kids in the group are getting pretty comfortable with in and me them. If Maks, Alona, and Natahsa are occupied doing something else though, they don't like me giving attention to the other children. I try to sneak some smiles and winks in where I can!

Julia, and young lady that comes to the orphange to help some on the children learn english cam today. She is very kind and the children love her. We can gotten to know here over the last few months as she was willing to schedule phone calls and translate with the kids. Another family (the Cox's) who recently adopted a little boy had asked us to bring Julia a book and I was glad I got to give it to her today. She seemed very grateful! She also wanted me to take some pictures of her with Maks, Alona, and Natasha and asked if we will email her when we get home and keep her updayed on the kids.

Maks, Natasha and I went outside first to play and when Alona got finished with her schoolwork she joined. The went really fast today. My ride showed up arounf 5pm and brought me back around 5pm.

I Skyped with Jenny for about an hour. What a blessing that is for us. The video part doesn't seem to be working very well, but it's nice being able to talk (an it's free)! Jenny had been on the phone with Children's hospital and received lot's of information from their international adoption department. We have an appointment on June 10 for all three children. It will be a long day, but when we are finsihed, we will know lots about their physical, psychological, emotional, etc. development. The plan is to come away with a plan of action if needed to address any needs that are uncovered. Jenny will be talking with our insurance today to start finding out what's covered. Please pray that evaluations go well and that out insurance will cover much of the expense.

I think I'll go to Lemon tonight and get my usual; green tea, ceasar salad, and cheese onion soup...we'll see! After dinner, I'll read some more of Random Heart and collections of writings by John Eldridge, then maybe a little DZVD watching and skype with kids at home.

One last thing - this morning when I was running, I looked up through the trees I was running under (lots of the streets I run on around here are tree lined and covered) and witnessed the most beautiful color of blue sky I've seen in a while. Seconds later, the Holy Spirit reminded me of God's decription of creation. Here are a few verses relating to what I saw.

Genesis 1 (The Message)
6-8 God spoke: "Sky! In the middle of the waters; separate water from water!" God made sky.He separated the water under sky from the water above sky. And there it was: he named sky the Heavens; It was evening, it was morning—Day Two.

31 God looked over everything he had made; it was so good, so very good!
It was evening, it was morning—Day Six.

Blessings <><,
David

7 comments:

Chris Graham said...

Good evening David! Sounds like another great day. And here we were so worried about you and how you would manage. I loved seeing your day through your ears and eyes. The glimpse of blue sky was a cherished moment of joy that might not have come your way without this slower pace in life. We all rejoice with you and Jenny when we hear stories about the children calling you Dad, father, mother, etc. Glad to hear about the medical plan of action and we'll pray about that. Insurance can be a bit overwhelming and frustrating. (Understatement for sure and certain, huh?) So....what do you want as your homecoming meal? Curious what you're missing most in the food world.

Jennifer said...

I am so glad you did not make me cry today!!! Pray for Daniel he left for Cambodia this morning. Its hard to see my baby out doing such dangerous work. I know he is God's first then mine...but you know us momma bears when it comes to our cubs.

Jennifer o

vandermeer said...

Hello David--glad to hear you had another great day with the kids. Loved all the pics again, especially loved seeing where you guys have been staying. We had lunch with your wonderful wife this afternoon and she was able to share some of your trip with us. We had a great time sharing together and hearing all the details. Keep up the great blogging. It makes us feel like we are there!

Phil & Tonya said...

Great pictures! Glad you are getting to run. It's amazing what you see/"hear" when you run. I think Maks looks like a runner. I wonder which one of your kids will try that sport. I am still wondering about mine, too -- for many reasons. I can't wait to see Stu and Maks wrestling again and rolling down the huge hill at the park, then sprinting up it over and over again. I can't wait to hear Natasha's voice and to hear how your twang has changed with your immersion into the Ukrainian world. Can you really pull off the whole slavic package now? We'll see!

Kimbell and Mark said...

that's so wonderful that you are running there - what a blessing. You'll love the adoption clinic. They'll actually refer you on for more testing after your appt there - psych and educational evaluations. It's nice you don't have to worry about rushing stuff to get your kids in school -you have all summer to do it. Love all the pics. Sasha had a wonderful day today - thanks for the prayers.

DeeDee said...

These are awesome pictures... they are so cute ! Whose the little girl at the end -- so sweet ! It sounds like each day is different and God shows you a different type of blessing or something to be thankful for..... those things are all around us if we just take the time to notice and appreciate them. Thanks for reminding us to slow down and take note of the simplest of things like the blue sky. We had lunch with Jenny yesterday and I felt like I was on a "real-live" blog -- it was great ! I could have sat and listened to her stories for hours ! What an incredible journey !! Praying for you !

Kerri said...

Great pics of the kiddos! You sound like you're just falling right into a routine. Randy has always said that he loves running because of the things you miss when you're just driving by. I'm so glad that you're able to do something you enjoy while you're there! I'm having lunch with Jennygirl tomorrow! I can't wait! Sending you love and prayers!