Sunday, May 17, 2009

Prayer

Father, as I wake today, I give you praise and give You glory for all You are, I confess my sins and ask Your forgiveness, I give You praise and thanks for all You have done, and ask with a humble heart that Your will be done. Amen.

As another beautiful day starts here in Khelm, my thoughts and prayers are focused on the events of the coming week that will lead to our homecoming. Some of the “things” that we will need to do before we can come home include: (in their order as best I understand) traveling about 1.5hrs to the children’s birth village to pick up original birth certificates, getting passports prepared, traveling to Kiev so that we can have medical exams and visa prepared, and getting on a plane. It all sounds so simple from the chair I’m sitting in now, but it’s “normally” not. “Technically” the 10-day waiting period will not end until Wednesday at noon. It’s at that time the court will release the decree of adoption. Without this document, Anna can’t do any of the above mentioned things. Anna has told me that she will begin “working” tomorrow morning despite still being in the 10-day period focusing on getting everything done as quickly as possible so we can get home without delay.

If you were to draw a timeline plotting each step that needs to be completed, it could easily add up to 10 plus days. (2 days to get the birth certificates, 5 days for the passports, 2 days for medicals and visas, add in there a weekend and it’s easily 10 plus days).

Please join me in earnest prayer that God’s will be done in this process so that Natasha, Alona, Maks and I can come home without delay. We are all ready! I know God has a plan, and I pray that nothing get’s in His way of accomplishing it.

God has been so gracious through this entire process. He has shown amazing favor on His rescue of Maks, Alona, and Natasha and I call on Him to continue His deliverance of these three children in the final stages of this journey home.

God hears our prayers and answers them! I can testify to that. From the beginning of this journey, God has shown Himself. He provided the financial resources by calling so many people to give generously. He provided for peace and patience while the paperwork was started, completed, and submitted. He provided for a quick travel date. He provided for a fast court date. He provided a favorable decision without delay or difficulty. He provided for the care of Keely, Max, and Isabelle while we were gone. He returned Jenny home after only 2 weeks. He has provided health and safety. He has given me strength to be here. He has provided an opportunity for growth and a renewal of my Spirit. And He has built a bond with a father and three children. All these things He did as an answer to prayer. God has “rescued” these children in less than 8 months when the “normal” process takes 12 – 18 months. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

I believe that the foundation of this adoption has been built of prayer and faith. I urge you to join me in continuing both as we move into these last steps of the journey. God wants to hear from us!

Father, I praise You for who You are and Your greatness. I pray today Father that Your will be done in completing Your “rescue”. Father, I know you hear me and will answer my prayers. I pray Father that I remove my selfish desires and find a peace and comfort in knowing that Your plan is best. I thank you in advance for all You are going to do to bless these remaining days here. I am so thankful Father that Yyou have called so many people to support this journey through prayer, words of encouragement, and generous gifts. To You Father I give all the glory. I pray these things in Your Son’s precious name, Jesus. Amen.

I mentioned just a few of the answered prayers in our journey; here are some examples of God answering prayers in His Word.
Genesis 25:21
Isaac prayed to the LORD on behalf of his wife, because she was barren. The LORD answered his prayer, and his wife Rebekah became pregnant.
2 Samuel 21:14
They buried the bones of Saul and his son Jonathan in the tomb of Saul's father Kish, at Zela in Benjamin, and did everything the king commanded. After that, God answered prayer in behalf of the land.
2 Samuel 24:25
David built an altar to the LORD there and sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings. Then the LORD answered prayer in behalf of the land, and the plague on Israel was stopped.
1 Kings 9:3
The LORD said to him: "I have heard the prayer and plea you have made before me; I have consecrated this temple, which you have built, by putting my Name there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there.
2 Kings 20:5
"Go back and tell Hezekiah, the leader of my people, 'This is what the LORD, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the LORD.
1 Chronicles 5:20
They were helped in fighting them, and God handed the Hagrites and all their allies over to them, because they cried out to him during the battle. He answered their prayers, because they trusted in him.
Ezra 8:23
So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer.
Isaiah 38:5
"Go and tell Hezekiah, 'This is what the LORD, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will add fifteen years to your life.
Luke 1:13
But the angel said to him: "Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John.

God confirms in His Word that He hears us.
Matthew 21:22
If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
Mark 11:24
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Jeremiah 29:12
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.

God reminds us in His Word the posture we should take in prayer.
Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present our requests to God.
Matthew 21:21
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done.
Mark 11:23
"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.

God tells us how we should pray!
Matthew 6:8-10 (New International Version)
8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
9"This, then, is how you should pray:
" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.

God tells us who will pray for us.
Romans 8:26
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

Amen.

David

7 comments:

Michelle said...

What faithfulness! ! ! I was reading about this more in Romans this morning! Thank you for all of the bible verses you shared with us. It is so obvious that God's hand has been on this~~Praise Him! We will continue to keep you all in our prayers, and for the kids as they transition from the only life they have known for a couple of years. Thank you for being such a good example to others in your faithfulness! It is so beautiful to watch it play out in such a big way-RESCUING three of his children.

Michelle

Phil & Tonya said...

David - thanks for your prayers and scripture here in this blog. I have been visiting with Mom and won't be able to go to church because we're heading back home after breakfast so your words and scripture are a great blessing and I can meditate on them when I walk the dog. The visit with Mom -- regrouping, covering important topics, sharing love -- is essential to storing up for the emergencies when there's no time to pause. Just like when our coffee was interrupted by her dog's barking then we found out her crazy dog got out of the yard (I think we told you once how she just runs away if she gets the chance). Well there I am half asleep trying to put on my super-tight running shoes I hadn't unlaced from the day before to go catch this dog. It reminds me of your situation, you're storing up, building up, building a foundation. You never know when you'll be running after one of those scared children who doesn't even know why they're compelled to run but they are. I praise God for this time in your life. He's preparing us all for the chase at some point or another. Oh, yeah, I caught the dog, thank goodness she's shaped like a stuffed sausage and she didn't keep running once I got to her -- just rolled over and whimpered. Oh, too many parallels with us and our heavenly Father to ramble on about... :) have a great day!

Chris Graham said...

Praise and Glory to God...we join you in your rejoicing and continue with you in prayer. I didn't realize the events and details of the week you had ahead. I wondered about the week, for Kim had mentioned a busy week. Now I know...wow. We will pray with you. Even though the children are ready to go...each day is still quite a gift for you all to bond and for them to be one more day in their birthland to soak it in and to remember. So which ever way it goes...there is goodness from the Lord in it. Nothing I speak is what you don't already know in your heart, none the less...I throw it out there in hopes of encouragement. Happy Lord's Day to you. We have a beautiful one here. One day in Heaven all of His people will worship together. No separation of time or distance or church buildings. I'm glad we have a glimpse of this here and now as we worship together in His Spirit at least. Thanks for His Word that you share. Did you know that you were going to be called to preach His Word during this journey? Hoping Anna is doing well. My prayers with her situation and for her faithful service this week. Tell your children how much they are already loved by people in their new country. Jenny....tell your children here in the states how many people are proud of them and love them. Love you Bordens!

Kimbell and Mark said...

Amen.

I know how much you want to get all 6 of your kiddos on the same continent - really I know! :) And that is my prayer - fast fast processing, God moving mountains - and you guys home for the big 3 day weekend.

I also know "...that in all things God works for the good of those who love him. who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 I believe that some delays we encountered on our first adoption weren't caused by God - but he used what was intended for evil (to discourage us, weaken our faith) he used for good (we fell in love with Anastasia's friends and saw God's plan for our lives as it related to those kids)

And a favorite verse that another adoptive mom sent me almost daily on our first trip to Ukraine "these things won't happen right away. slowly, steadily, surely the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day." This last trip we had some delays. but those delays allowed us to be in Ukraine for Mark's birthday, which was filled with blessings for not only us but the kids at the orphanage. The 2nd trip, the delays allowed us to spend our last few hours in Ukraine with a fellow believer who had spoken to Sasha about Jesus and what he had done in her life. Wow - I'd have stayed many extra days just for that visit! Of course I didn't know it when days earlier I was grumbling (which you got to witness) how the process was slowing down and my days in Ukraine were not coming to an end as I had hoped!

Thanks for being such a warrior and inspiration. God is using you to break people's hearts for the fatherless.

Love you.

vandermeer said...

We are continuing to pray just as you have asked that the remaining part of your journey will go along speedily and as smoothly as the rest has gone. God does continue to be faithful in this whole process so why would we expect anything less as you near the close! He is truly an amazing God and so worthy of all our praise. He has done so much more than we could have imagined here with this adoption! Thank you for sharing so much with us. We are praying you and the kids home! By the way, we enjoyed nice fellowship with your wonderful wife and kids at Moe's today after church! Jenny had to finally join us because I was telling the whole story to the people we were with!!!

David and Jenny Borden said...

I just love reading all that you are experiencing and learning, and I love as much reading all the comments. They all speak to the faithfulness and awesome love of God. How cool! It's sharing testimonies in remembrance of the goodness of God. Just as we are called to do. Why do we not so readily (and daily) share this with one another day to day without the blog? I believe the Lord is pleased in our outpouring of love for Him. Testify to love!

DeeDee said...

David,
What great scriptures - thanks for sharing all that you've learned and are experiencing each day ! We'll specifically be praying for the requests that you gave that gave. I'm so anxious ( I know not nearly as much as you and Jenny and the kids) for you to all be home and be together but I will miss your blogs. Daily inspiration to all of us here at home !