Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday afternoon

It has been quite a six hours since I posted at 10am. As I’m heading out the door at 11am I ran into Kostya and Anna heading out too. I greet them good-morning and their response wasn’t very cheerful. Kostya even said some like “no not really”. I asked if he wasn’t feeling well and didn’t get anything out of him. We walked on to the car, got in, and began to drive away. Just a few feet away from the door, we stop and Anna get’s out. While she was out of the car, Kostya told me that Anna’s grandmother had died. Anna returned to the car and I expressed my sorrow and we began to drive.

Just as I am beginning to think about what the impact of this news will have on the process, Kostya tells me that that they were thinking that they could take me to get the kids, we could gather up there last few things, say their good-byes and stay with me at Tatiana’s until we leave for Kiev, hopefully Tuesday if the passports come. Needless to say, I’m a little lost for words. I wasn’t ready to keep the kids with me until Tuesday (hopefully) and what about the passports on Monday?

I tried to formulate my thoughts, and while I was doing so, Kostya continues saying that they are going to be heading to Knickalive (sp) (their hometown) as soon as they bring us back to Tatiana’s and will be back late Monday night. I’m trying really hard to process all that information and I must admit it’s hard. I’m trying to be respectful of the pain and grief Anna and Kostya are going through and remind myself just an hour ago I was writing about letting God be in control of the plans.

On the way to get the kids, I ask if there is anyone else here that could facilitate the completion of the passports should they come on Monday and they told me that they won’t be coming because the passport offices all across Ukraine are not open on Mondays. They are only open Tuesdays thru Saturdays. That was new news. Now I’m thinking again about the expediting fee…let it go I tell myself. I can come back to address that issue at a more appropriate time.

We continue to drive and I’m continuing to try to come up with a better plan and don’t. It is what it is and I need to focus on the kids and the news they are about to get that they need to gather up their last few things and say good-bye. Not exactly what I had envisioned or even described to them how we would be leaving.

When we arrive, Kostya shared the news with them and they are excited and ran inside to get their things. I followed along and on the way the kids were stopping and telling everyone. Before long I think everyone had heard the news. We quickly gather the rest of their things and headed back downstairs and towards the doors where adults and children had gather to say good-bye. So far so good I thought. Everyone is holding it together pretty well. Then, one of the teachers got down on her knees and started talking to the children and they started to cry. Then other teachers said their good-byes and more crying. Then other children said their good-byes and more crying. It was very difficult for everyone. I can’t imagine what was going on in Maks, Alona, and Natasha’s hearts and minds; much less the caregivers and the children, that moments later would be going back to what they were doing minutes before. As we got in the car and pulled away, I hit me that 45 minutes earlier I was mourning the death of Anna’s grandmother and now celebrating this new life for Maks, Alona and Natasha.

We arrived at Tatiana’s around noon, put away their things, and were offered to use the “Arabian” room where Anna and Kostya had been staying. Tatiana took us upstairs and helped the kids get settled in to their room. There is a queen bed and a sleeper sofa that will work out great for them. After we unpacked some clothes, we went to Winnie the Pooh to eat and from there we went to the grocery store to buy some food for the next couple of days. I don’t think we could all survive on oatmeal, bars, and Coke Light. At the store, everyone did great taking turns pushing the buggy and showing me everything they wanted. Maks was particularly helpful in telling me what they liked and didn’t like. We bought from bananas, apples, oranges, cucumbers, some salami and cheese slices, some fresh sardines, some crackers, some chips, some soup, some bread, juices, and water.

From the grocery, we came back to Tatiana’s and have been watching TV, coloring, and have had a snack of apples, bananas and crackers. Alona and Natasha found a broom on the porch and have cleaned everything up!

We are getting ready to head to the park, then dinner, then baths and to bed! Don’t know if I’ll have a chance to post again tonight or not! Please pray that the passports arrive on Tuesday so we can move to the next step.

Blessings <><,
David


Leaving!

8 comments:

Laurel said...

Oh, wow, what a change of events. You have Julia's numbers with you, don't you? I'll call Ilona and ask her to have Julia follow up on the passport on Monday morning. Hang in there! Enjoy the kids. God's plan is always best.

vandermeer said...

Wow, how things can change suddenly! Jenny had shared this with us this morning at church before I could even read the blog. But, sounds like you are doing just fine and enjoying the kids being with you. It is so neat to continue to see how you are reminded of God's timing and plan through it all. We are praying that you are able to obtain those passports by Tuesday. In the meantime, try and enjoy you last days there before you come home with the kids (I am sure this is easier said than done!). Jenny did awesome this morning at church speaking in the primary department. I loved hearing the story again and the testimony of God's faithfulness to your family in rescuing the kids. It is an amazing journey!

Michelle said...

What a ton of emotions happening over there!!! The sad death of Anna's grandmother; confusion over how/when the passports are going to be ready; sadness of the children leaving what they are familiar with, and the friends they have know; and the joy and hope they have as they are coming with you all! We continually have you all in our prayers~~it seems the road can be a challenge sometimes. Stay faithful to what has been working for you best in all of the blessed undertakings; which seems to be: following God's plan. We all have been such a light to others~~keep shining, keep shining! ! ! Thank you!

Chris Graham said...

Oh yes...it is time for you all to come home. But what an opportunity to be their full time, care-giving Daddy right now. It's been awhile since you've tackled baths and bedtime routines and how special for them to be having these moments with Dad. In prayer for Anna and Kostya (spelling???). Heavy heart for them both and puts my little things in perspective. Talk again soon. Don't worry about your avid fans and this blog...we know that you have greater and more pressing things to do with your flat at full occupancy. We are glad that you are no longer alone and have some hugs and laughter among you.

Kerri said...

Oh wow, BIG changes! Well, as I was reading I was thinking how together you are David. I know that you are completely relying on God but can I just tell you that right down to knowing how and what to do at the local store and managing money in a foreign currency and all of the "details" amazes me! I know that you didn't expect things to go this way but I am so glad that the kids will be with their father who is guided by THE Father. I'm praying for Anna as well and for her heart as she grieves. Remember, that is the same heart that the Lord wooing! May she feel comfort that comes only from Him. You are in the home stretch. Hang in there. You know that by mile 19 you're mind starts playing tricks on you. We're here on the side of the course cheering you on to the finish line. These last few miles may be tough but they are manageable. We are praying and sending our love to you and your new housemates!

Kimbell and Mark said...

well at least you're not going to be bored with the kids with you! Love you. Praying.

Jennifer said...

....be still and know that I am God......

You know those three won't!!!!
Jennifer

David and Jenny Borden said...

hey D. I love the marathon analogy that Kerri used! Maybe God will use the marathon to help you draw parallels to get you through this final stretch. You're doing great! I'm so impressed with you and how you're handling it all.
I keep thinking about when you all are home, and thinking of us getting through it with lots of prayer and lots of laughter TOGETHER! Can't wait. Love you, jenny