Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ukrainian Countryside

Here are few thoughts and pictures from my ride in the Ukrainian countryside yesterday!

Rolling hills of farmland
Generations of family living and working on the land
Only enough electricity to flicker a light
Water from a well
Work gets done with the labor of hands
Cows are used for milk not McDonald's
Horses plow and pull carts not race for the Triple Crown
To eat, you grow your own food
Brick homes with wood windows freshly painted blue
Elderly ladies wearing scarves
Cemetaries decorated beautifully
May poles with streamers to celebrate spring
Blue and yellow flags everywhere
Little girl helping young ducklins across the lane
Fishing with long poles from a bridge
The sun wakes you up and the moon puts you to sleep
You work for what you have
Fences are to keep your chickens safe not privacy
Monuments are to remember the past
Bicycles and legs take you places

stork over pond
boys resting while out riding bikes
cross in center circle
mother and child out for a stroll
monument in center of town circle

4 comments:

michelle said...

Thanks for the photo's. Are those
of Khmelnitskyi or just countryside as you drove back?
Long trip for you both.
Glad Jenny got home I bet she is glad to be back among family and friends. Enjoy a little peae for chaos hits at home..good chaos of
course. Michelle

Chris Graham said...

I just didn't know, David. I had no idea that a poet lived within. I will be printing this out to add to my books of the poets which I often take out on a day when I need for life to make a little more sense. Thanks....I'll go back to cleaning my house with much more joy and serenity in my heart. Don't know if you're a Seinfeld fan, but I do believe that show ruined the word "serenity". I'm laughing at a certain episode. But regardless, my heart feels peaceful. Good night.

Kerri said...

Beautiful. I've always loved that way you have of "taking it all in". I think I will have to stop teasing about your being slow and lingering in your speech. Somehow it fits so well when I read this post in your voice! I'm so glad you could enjoy this drive and all of God's handiwork.

Jennifer said...

I loved the picture of you and Natasha. Looks like you are Daddy/Father for sure.

The smile on Mokx face is priceless.

Jennifer O