Friday, May 22, 2009

Still waiting for passports

It’s 8pm and I just passed Anna in the foyer and asked her if she had any news about the passports and she said she was still waiting on a call. So, I’m still praying that God’s will be done in getting the passports completed as quickly as possible.

I also found out this morning when I called the US Embassy about the price for Visas, that they are observing the US holiday, Memorial Day, on Monday and would be closed. They will reopen on Tuesday at 8:30am.

I’m disappointed in both not having the passports and the Embassy being closed, but I know God’s plan will prevail. I also know that worrying about it or even trying to plan the future won’t help. It’s hard though!


Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

"I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. Job 42:2


I stayed up late last night doing some work, looking at facebook, exchanged some emails, and even skyped with my boss. I slept pretty well though and got up around 8. I went for a run (it’s really more like a jog), got my shower, did my bible study, read some, talked to Jenny, Max and Isabelle, and before I knew it, it was time to go see the kids.

On the way, Anna said that because we might be leaving on the weekend and Oksana wouldn’t be working, we needed to sign some documents. We arrived and somehow, which seems to happen more times than not, the kids come to greet us. It’s still a big reunion which makes me feel great! We went upstairs to Oksana’s office and started sign away. All three children were in the office and everyone was talking except for me of course. I kept asking Maks to translate but never did get anything out of him. One thing I picked up on was that Oskana was telling the kids good-bye. Everyone did pretty well. There weren’t any tears, but I could tell they were holding them back. She was so gracious in letting them each pick out 2 brand news books from a cabinet she had in her office. The children were so excited to get to choose and thanked her many times. I could tell that she really cares for them. After about 30 minutes, I said my good-byes and thanked her for caring for all the children and told her we had her email address and we would send pictures very soon and often.

As we left her office, Maks and Alona told me that they had found more stuff that they wanted to take to America so we headed back towards their rooms. They handed me more books, Barbie dolls, and clothes. Asked about their backpacks and Alona went and got hers that she had brought back last summer and started filling it up with more stuff. I asked Maks about his and he took me to a closet where he climbed up the shelves to try and find it. After he didn’t see it, he went and asked the teacher if he could take one of the groups because he needed one for the plane. The teacher had been watching all this go on and was helping when she could. She was so sweet to help him find one that would work and said he could have it. Alona had handed me a collage of pictures we had mailed her months ago of last year’s visit to put in the bag going home. I showed it to the teacher trying to explain that Alona had a brother and 2 sisters in America. She nodded and walked off. A few minutes later, she came back and took out of her purse 2 pictures that one of the children had given her of our family (minus Natasha) that was taken last summer. I could tell that it was something special for her that the kids had given those pictures to her.
We played outside, and before long, Alona told me that a lot of the children from the orphanage where going to a music concert (Anna helped translate) and that she wanted to know if I minded. Certainly not I told her and encouraged her to have a great time. I told her we would see each other again tomorrow. We kissed and she ran off! I was encouraged Maks and Natasha to go, but both said no. We played a little longer and then I left.

I had dinner at Lemon and ventured out a bit and ordered a Caesar salad and a mushroom and cheese calzone. I have had the salad probably a dozen times but a first for the calzone. It was very good. If I’m here too many more days, I can add it to my routine. We’ll see!

God willing, I hope to see the kids tomorrow at the orphanage and then have them here on Sunday getting ready to go to Kiev.
Please continue to pray for those passports. We can’t do anything with regards to the next steps without them.
Blessings <><,
David


Oksana with Maks, Alona, and Natasha
Maks and Teacher. She is writing a note in a book Maks is bringing home
Maks, Natahsa, teacher and Alousha

14 comments:

David and Jenny Borden said...

I love that smile on Maks' face. He looks so strong, like when he left our house this summer. How great the picture you got w/ Oksana. I know the kids love her, and she loves them. It was evident. She has played a major role in their lives for the past 2 years. We can be grateful to her for the care and protection she has given them. I believe she has looked out for them in a special and protective way. I'm thinking the kids have to be getting excited as it's getting closer. They can really sense it's almost time!! I'm praying for you!! **and how cool is that about their caregiver having a picture of our family in her purse. How awesome is that. God's love is abounding and His glory is being shown to many. You are being an awesome witness!!! love you, jenny

Dunham Family said...

I am right there with you on the disappointments, but knowing God is in control so it's useless to try to make a plan. I pray for you daily and hope that you are out of here soon. Memorial Day?? With the US holidays and the Ukrainian holidays it's a wonder they get anything done around here....we have been delayed by 3 holidays already!!!

Chris Graham said...

Yep....it sounds to me like your children are ready to come home. I really loved the glimpse into them gathering up their belongings. Bittersweet moments of good-byes. The joy of picking out special books. I hear your heart as you long to come home and I feel for you and Jenny. I hate to be away one night from Andrew. Hang in there, good sir.

Michelle said...

Hey David,

I'm so sorry about the disappointment~~it broke my heart to hear about the embassy being closed. OHHHHHH! I feel for you, but you have been doing a great job hanging in there from all appearances! And surely there is a reason for this, as difficult as it may be! The joy, positive attitude, encouragement and perseverance that you have been exuding through this process has been incredible, and quite a witness to others. Hang in there! God is certainly smiling down on your family following His will to take care of the orphans~~Thank you!

Still praying!

Kimbell and Mark said...

XOOXX - since we're emailing don't have much to say here - but I know how much every single comment means.

Oh I can tell you about my day. We took Sasha to the psychologist at Children's - who just happens to speak Russian. That was great. she says sasha is wonderful and very happy - nice to hear. We've had a fantastic few days.

Tonight Rachel and Steve (her friend - but she is actually calling him her boyfriend) are coming up for dinner and to spend the night before they fly to meet Steve's parents at the beach tomorrow. So we'll have 6 kids, 2 dogs, Mark and me for dinner - and that didn't seem like enough so I invited my parents too! :)

Oh when you get home we should get our broods together - how fun will that be - oh and very crazy. I've found Sasha LOVES finding someone who she can speak Russian with (of course her roommate and lil sis speaks it but she's always looking for new folks). So your kids will probably enjoy that too.

Okay have to cook and clean - which of course you know since you've been fully filled in on my evening plans!

Love you - and know that Mark and I really do know how you feel..... really we do! :)

Phil & Tonya said...

Hey the blessing of a new food choice! Please go eat some classic Ukrainian food before you come home. Maybe God wants you to have some borscht (sp?) or something in your taste memory for the kids' sake. Ask Anna what her favorite Ukrainian dish is and for the recipe or something. I am praying for the passports. It'll be time to fly before you know it! I know, easy for me to say! Hang in there! I'm just glad your bride didn't have to go to the ER today -- she needs you back here. :)

DeeDee said...

Wow, David. What a wonderful perspective - you are such an encouragement to us...... Thanks for reminding us of trusting in God's plan even when it's not ours. His way is Best ! How incredible that the teacher had a pic of your family in her purse. That's so neat, and how sweet to know how the children treasured those things that you have given to them and sent them. Each day gets you a little closer to a VERY special reunion !! Praying for you, David. We're praying about those passports !

michelle said...

One good thing staying in Khmel
for a day or two more it is alot
cheaper then Kyiv. And more like a small town you and Jenny wrote you liked it so much because of that. So it is a blessing. Plus the kids get one more weekend with friends to share w/o worrying about school.
Nice photo's BTW kids look great!
May it be a beautiful day tomorrow and maybe you'll get another fab.
calzone out of the deal!
Almost home!

Jennifer said...

Hey what ever happened to your soggy passport? And what was that from Tonya about Jenny going to the ER not to start any gossip on the blog or anything>

Jennifer

David and Jenny Borden said...

Hey Jennifer, don't know if this is proper place to address your question, but I did NOT have to got to the ER. I almost fell down the steps. Unfortunately, two big tubs of clothes went flying and the stuff went everywhere. I had a mini-meltdown. Funniest thing (as I look back now) was the kid's reactions. Too long for now, but each reaction perfectly captured each child's personality. Then even better was tonight at Iz's graduation, I took a near tumble down the bleachers due to my cute and uncomfortable shoes. I near went into the splits over a span of 3 bleachers, and caught myself on a grandma taking a picture of the graduates. Hilarious! Tonya almost caught it on video--could have been the next AFV! jenny

vandermeer said...

David, I was so sorry to hear the news today but how wonderful that you always are looking for God in this--His ways, His timing. The pics were great. We just cannot wait to see everyone together here! And I am sure you cannot either! I am sure you are so ready to be reunited as a family!! We are praying for you and the passport issue and that you will be home very soon! Take care!

Jenny--not to laugh here--but your entry below about your near fall and actual fall was funny to read (only because you were not injured of course!) You just have a picture of the whole thing happening!! Glad you are OK!!

Kimbell and Mark said...

Okay it's 3:19pm in Ukraine. I'm praying you have FOUR dry and rady to go passports in your hot little hands and you're planning the big going away party for tomorrow.

Jewelry Lady said...

Praying for you this morning David! Enjoy your extended weekend in the Ukraine and experiencing God. You are loved and missed here!

Natalie said...

Continuing to pray for the passports to be issued and for every detail of your return trip to fall into place. Loved the pic. of the kids with Oksana. We got to know her a bit last summer when we attended some of the outings with the other host families. She really did love and care for the kids. What a blessing to have her looking after your kids these past few years. Praying you have a good evening and wonderful Lord's Day. May He continue to show His faithfulness in your situation. God Bless!