Friday, May 15, 2009

It's complicated

It’s complicated to describe in words what the past few days have been like for me. There is still a lot of joy getting to spend dedicated time with Maks, Alona, and Natasha, but everyday that I’m here, my eyes and heart are opened to the reality of the pain that is in each child I encounter.

I’ve been restless the past few days; both day and night. I rarely seem to rest because of all the “thoughts” I have in my head. I try to distract myself by going to dinner, reading, running, walking to the grocery store, doing laundry, watching DVD’s, etc., but the simple truth is that I can’t get the images and thoughts of what I “see” and “hear” going on at the orphanage.

The most evident “pain” I see and hear is the lack of love. Jenny and I were talking yesterday and she reminded me that these children have suffered the greatest pain imaginable – abandonment. In some cases, total abandonment! In Maks, Alona’s and Natasha’s case, they were removed from their homes taken to a hospital to be “checked out” than taken to the orphanage. In the 2 ½ years they have been at the orphanage, only one time did anyone come and see them. Can you imagine what heartache and pain they have suffered? What about the stories of the other children. What kind of pain and suffering have they suffered? God, my heart aches for these children!

In an earlier post, I mentioned that the children’s daily needs are being met in terms of food, shelter, clothing, and nice building to live in, etc. While that is the case, they are left to grow up managing life as they can. There are approximately 80 children at the orphanage separated in groups of 12-14 kids. Most days, there are two caregivers; one I call the housemother and the other I call the teacher. The housemother takes care of the cleaning and cooking, the teacher takes care of the children.

Because so many of the children come into the “system” at such a young age and from circumstances in their home that have placed them there, they don’t have the same social skills that children have growing up in “loving” family. When they enter the doors of the orphanage, and more directly, their group, they must adapt quickly to the environment. The best description I can think of is “survival of the fittest”. What a way to have to grow up in a system where the strongest survive. A community where you get what you want or have because you take it by force. A place where you say hurtful things to others because it makes you feel better. A place where you protect everything you have with all your might and strength because it’s all you have left to hold onto to. A place where respect is earned because of fear not character. A place where there is no truth and lack of consequence for ill behavior. Truly a place where children must learn to survive in order to live. God, it breaks my heart to see so little love in these children’s hearts.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not there isn’t love in these children’s heart (God has placed His love there, just like He has for me and you), it’s just so deep. I’ve witnessed some very tender moments of love. I’ve seen older children taking care of younger ones. I’ve seen children laughing, singing, and smiling. Praise God for the glimpses of love that I see - it gives me hope.

Yesterday, I woke yet again from a restless night of sleep. I got up, went for a run, spent time with God, did laundry, did some computer stuff, and off to see the kids. As usual, the kids were inside doing their schoolwork and after about 30 minutes, Maks, Alona, Natasha and I went outside to play. “What are we going to do today” I thought. “I’m here for 3 more hours and we’ve done it all a million times already.” We kicked the soccer ball around; we played tag, and took turns playing on the i-phone. Jenny even called and spoke to the kids. They really liked that! With about an hour left in my visit, the group came outside with their teacher and suddenly, Alona and Natasha where saying “father, come, come, please!” I followed them to a different playground where the teacher had a gallon of paint and two paint brushes. (You can imagine the chaos with 14 kids, a gallon of paint, and two brushes!). I feeling good though. An opportunity to interact with the other children of the group. One of the things I’ve wanted to do is get pictures of each child in the group and write down their names. I’ve been praying for them, but without their names, it seemed a little impersonal. I told Maks what I wanted to do and asked him to be the photographer. He did a great job! Shortly after Maks got started, I noticed that the teacher had the phone Natasha had bought on Monday and was “fixing” it. Vika was standing there and the next thing I know Natasha is yelling at her. My best guess is that Vika had Natasha’s phone and broke it (only temporary though – the teacher fixed it). Well Vika took off running and sat down on a bench as was crying. I certainly didn’t like Natasha screaming like that but I liked Vika crying all alone less. I went over to sit with her and comfort her which I think helped. Within a few minutes, Natasha came walking over. I must admit, I thought that if she came over to harass Vika anymore, I would put her in “time-out”! To my surprise and pleasure, Natasha was very sweet and even wiped the tears form Vika’s face. “Wow” she gets it. She does know how to love. Natasha asked if we could give Vika a balloon so we got the pump and balloons out of my backpack. You should have seen Vika’s smile!

Within seconds, every kid in the group was within inches of me asking for a balloon. The stronger ones pushing the weaker ones out of the way to be first. “Unbelievable” I thought. As I tried my best to blow up, tie, and pass out the balloons, someone else was standing there with their hands out. I remember praying and asking God for patience and peace. It was crazy and I wanted to get away from it. “I’m trying God, I really am. I’m trying to love these children, Lord. Help me”. Soon, there was another group that came outside and they all wanted a balloon. I was getting tired, even though it had only been about 10 minutes. By now it’s bedlam! Kids screaming, pushing, fighting, yelling, etc. You get the picture – crazy and I’m in the middle of it. Soon it was over. Every child that wanted a balloon got one. Praise God for the patience and peace he provided me. It was hard.

As I’m standing up, Maks tells me that my ride is there. As we are walking to the car, I stopped, got down on one knee and told him how much I loved him and that Jesus loved him too. He said “I know papa. I know”.

Why does something so simple as LOVE have to be so complicated?

Father, my time here with these children is short. Please help me to love them and show them your Son’s love. Amen.

Blessings <><,
David

Matthew 22:37
Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
Matthew 22:39
And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

10 comments:

David and Jenny Borden said...

I read your post, and the emotions come through. I relive the whole scene remembering it was only over a week I was experiencing it. It's weird because it's still so tender to me that it's hard to deal with, but at the same time my time there seems eons away from where I am now.
I believe that others will be able to understand the emotions that take place within you as well. Thank you for sharing with those reading. God is growing us all as we see the realities of life for these little ones. I pray expressing it through writing helps you to release some of the struggle and pain.
These are those moments where I know you feel weak to do much in these lives, but God is using your time there in a powerful way. No way would God allow this time that you are seeking to love these kids as a waste. I love you, Jenny

Kerri said...

Good morning/afternoon friend. I could hardly wait to get to the blog this morning, the same as most mornings. I sat down and started reading and immediately found myself in the middle of an orphanage playground in Ukraine surrounded by children working hard for a moment's attention. I wanted to stop reading. It wasn't fun and fluffy. It was the pain of God's broken heart for His children and He has used you to share it today. Thanks David for being open enough to share your full experience and give your heart to these children. Their faces and names will not be forgotten. We love you so much!

Chris Graham said...

yep

The Holloways said...

David, you've expressed what it is like being there with the kids better than any I've heard before. Thank you for your honesty and for bravely sharing your thoughts with all of us. I pray God continues to strengthen you as you minister to these kids. And Jenny is right: there is no way would God allow this time you are loving on these kids to be a waste! We will NOT forget them. Thanks for helping us to know them better.

Phil & Tonya said...

Hey, David! Keep on keeping on. As you pour out your pleas for patience to God and pour yourself out to these kids, God hears and sees every moment. "I know, David, I know!" I picture Him saying. I love that Maks has "got it" and Natasha, too. Praise God!

Tonya

beth said...

Warning - this may be wordy! First let me say that I have found myself in a routine of taking my students to their special class and then sitting down to pull up the blog. I didn't realize how hungry I had become for them until yesterday morning when there wasn't a new one (yet). I don't mean that as a scolding, just a glimpse into the affect you are having on my life. I can't wait each day to read about these children and the "adventures" you are having with them. I will be so glad you when you are home and the whole Borden clan is on one continent but I think I shall miss this daily experience. I could just picture the whole thing today - from the incident with Natasha and Vica (which just blessed my heart) to picturing you sitting in the midst of a crowd of children craving your attention! Isn't it amazing how God equips us with the right amount of patience as well as balloons? Also, thanks for the pics and names. I too have been praying for them and even though I know God knows each name and face, but it feels more personal when I can "see" them and call them by name. They are beautiful!I am praying for peace within your spirit so that you can get good sleep in order to keep up with the demands of loving so many little hearts! Have a wonderful day! blessings to you!
Beth

Kimbell and Mark said...

Dear sweet david, I can read the weariness in your "voice." I love how you keep keeping on in the midst of the pain in watching and loving these kids. There were days over there where I just wanted to put the covers over my head (oh wait, I think I did do that for a few mornings! :)

I was so happy to talk to Jenny this morning and hear that you are having a good day. God is doing a great work through you and sometimes it's very very hard - and exhausting emotionally, physically and spiritually.

How cool that GOd used balloons to allow you to give just a bit of one on one attention to each child (I love how he uses pipecleaners too!) last night Mark and I were talking about Elijah - cause I have experienced many of the same things you have since I have been home. And wait - this is too long - I'm going to email you!
XXOOX

Kim

vandermeer said...

David, as I read this blog, I too find myself picturing the kids, what it is like for them daily, and just what you and Jenny have been dealing with emotionally. It is incredible how you put this into words. Those children will forever remember your presence and how you showed love to them. I am sure the pain is great but you are seeing how God is using this in your life and the children's. This will forever impact your life as well. Thanks again for sharing so much with all of us. I too cannot wait to read the blog daily. God will bless them and you all for what you have done in obedience to Him. Praying for you!

Michelle said...

Okay! So I want to say WOW! again because of the sheer honesty with which you share. Thank you! I feel blessed to be watching the journey you are on. I can't imagine how my heart would feel being there with so many 'abandoned' children. I can't imagine the depth of their pain. The balloonfest sounded like it was quite impossible, but you managed through it, and as has been said, were able to in a small way, share some of our Father's love with each one.

Adoption? Quite the adventure in this case. I am sure there are so many different experiences of it, but you all make it seem possible (with the help of God and not wondering about the 'What if's. . .") Opening watching eyes!

Thanks! Michelle

Laura said...

test